Sunday, February 13, 2011

My New Project!

I started a new project this year with  my mom....

She makes the best Burmese food, and growing up I ate rice and some sort of curry or other Burmese dish every single day but I never bothered to learn how to cook it.  It was SO NOT COOL when I was a teenager, and oh how I regret not taking the time to spend with my mom to learn about Burmese food.. which was essentially the centerpiece of our family's life and culture.

When I was in college, I asked my mom to send me the recipes for some of the dishes she made... but being the amazing Burmese chef that she is.. she couldn't send a recipe because she didn't measure or really time anything she made.  She just knew by eye-balling all of the ingredients and she knew when a dish was done, it was done.....no timer needed.

This year, every couple of months, I asked my mom to come over so I could document the Burmese dishes she made- I could take the photos, write down directions, and measure all of the ingredients, and even try to time who long it takes to cook the dishes.  This way, Aurelia will also have the recipes for her own cooking adventures when she grows up!

Check back in every few months for new recipes.  I will warn you now though...these are not quick dishes to whip up.. you'll need a good amount of time to spend on them.....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment